The Madras Boat Club located in the banks of Adyar is over a hundred and forty years old. It is one of the oldest rowing centres in India. It was a few Englishmen in Madras who founded the club in the year 1867. There are records to show that the club was first started in the backwaters of Ennore and pictures of the rowing course lying along-side the sailing course are still available in the Club’s archives. Later, in the year 1892, the club was shifted to its present location – on the banks of the Adyar river. In the year 1898, the club coat – dark blue with brass buttons and the club monogram – which is in use even today without modification, was adopted by the then committee.
Seen here is a Solitary Rowing trainee in the Adyar river practising his skills.