In 1941 George Augustine Henry Oakes established ‘The Garage’ in Ootacumund which was primarily involved in selling automobile spare parts. ‘The Garage’ was later acquired by, Mr. W.W.Ladden who then changed the name of the Company to George Oakes Limited. In 1945 the industrialist, Mr. S. Anantharama Krishnan and his fast growing Amalgamations group acquired the Company. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Simpsons & Co. Ltd. Later that year George Oakes Limited acquired Gordon Woodroffe Motors Limited and moved its headquarters to Chennai. This office is in Greame’s Road.